Founded in 1900 by Andrew Carnegie under the name Carnegie School of Engineering, the college later changed its name to the Carnegie Institute of Technology in 1912 and began holding undergraduate education. In 1967, the institute was merged with the Mellon Industrial Research Institute to the point that the Carnegie Mellon University was formed.
The university’s main campus has an area of 140 acres (57 ha), and is located 3 miles (5 km) from Downtown Pittsburgh.
Carnegie Mellon has seven faculties, namely the Faculty of Engineering, the Faculty of Fine Arts, the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences.
The Faculty of Science, the Faculty of Business, the Faculty of Information Systems and Public Policy, and the Faculty of Computer Science. The university also has campuses in Qatar and Silicon Valley.
Carnegie Mellon was ranked 24th in the ranking of universities formed by the U.S. News & World Report.
Carnegie Mellon is also the unity university that organizes robotics and drama study programs and is one of the first universities that has a Faculty of Computer Science.
Carnegie Mellon also spent $ 242 million on research and development around 2015, placing them in 89th place, in terms of money spent.
Carnegie Mellon has 13,650 active students from 114 countries, more than 100,000 graduates who are still alive, and more than 5,000 employees.
So far, Carnegie Mellon has become an alma mater for 20 Nobel Prize winners, 12 Turing Award recipients, 22 members of the American Academy of Arts & Sciences.
19 members of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, 72 members of the National Academies, 114 people Emmy Award recipients, 44 Tony Award recipients, and 7 Academy Award recipients.
The institutional formation of Carnegie Mellon University
The Carnegie School of Engineering was founded in 1900 in Pittsburgh by a businessman and philanthropist, Andrew Carnegie, who wrote the words “My heart is in the work” when he made a donation to establish this institution.
Carnegie at that time aspired to establish vocational education institutions for the children of his employees in Pittsburgh.
Carnegie was inspired to establish this institution from the Pratt Institute in Brooklyn, New York, which was founded by a businessman, Charles Pratt in 1887.
In 1912, the institution was renamed the Carnegie Institute of Technology and began organizing undergraduate education.
During this period, the institute consisted of four schools, namely the School of Fine and Applied Arts, the School of Vocational Work, the School of Science and Technology, and the School of Women.
Meanwhile, the Mellon Industrial Research Institute was founded in 1913 by a pair of brothers, Andrew Mellon, a banker and businessman (who later served as United States Secretary of Finance) and Richard B. Mellon to commemorate his father, Thomas Mellon.
The institute was originally a department of the University of Pittsburgh, which carried out research for government and industry under contract.
In 1927, the Mellon Institute was separated and officially stood as an independent and non-profit organization.
In 1938, the iconic building belonging to the Mellon Institute finally passed was built, and they too officially transferred all their activities to the building.
In 1967, with the support of Paul Mellon, the Carnegie Institute of Technology was legally affiliated with the Mellon Institution to the point that Carnegie Mellon University was formed.
The Women’s School was blocked in 1973, and the academic program was also merged with its parent university.
The Mellon Institute’s industrial research organization was not included in the merger, to the point that the organization changed its name to the Carnegie Mellon Research Institute, and continued to receive research contracts from industry and government.
The Institute was finally blocked in 2001, and the program was either continued by the parent university or divorced into a separate entity.